![]() |
| Oshoala takes the spoils (Golden Boot and Golden Ball) at the U20 World Cup |
Catching Up
So I figured I should write about the different headlines
that have happened in the women’s game since I took my irrelevant sabbatical -or
not- from blogging. So I’ll start at the Women’s U20s!
The U20 World Cup was a joy to watch, especially for me, Nigeria
made it to the final but it ended in the most painful fashion for me, we fell
to Germany 1-0 having made more chances than them and we even had the ball in
the back of the net once but it was ruled out for offside due to huge
inexperience from the number 7, Ayila, who by the way had a good game.
Nigeria could only blame themselves really, the star of the
tournament, Asisat Oshoala, had a glorious chance to put the Super Falconets
ahead way early in normal time, she beat the German keeper, Kramer and had the
whole goal to finish, but she underrated the situation and used her weaker
foot, when she really could have shown more composure on the day, her finish
was abysmal in the end.
The Germans were always dangerous on the ball, every time
they had the possession, I had the thought that they knew what they wanted to
do it. The technicality that Sara Daebrtiz, Pauline Bremer and Theresa Panfill have
at this age is quite something, but somehow Nigeria’s strength managed to match
that, strength and resilience and we weren’t bad technique-wise as well.
We finally had the ball in the German net in the dying
minutes of normal time, Asisat Oshoala struck quite a shot at Kramer which ratcheted
off her someway to her back, she wasn’t in goal and just 2 German defenders
were scrambling for cover, young striker, Ihenzuo, made an effort to head the
ball, successful attempt and it was entering…until Ayila made sure with a shot
to confirm the goal, only to see the lineswoman raise her flag.
I was so mad, I already knew that was what it would result
to, Ihezuo was onside when Oshoala’s
shot came off Kramer, and her effort would have counted but Ayila was way offside during the incident and her
strike really didn’t do any favors for the side.
There’s still debates on if it was a legit goal or not, the
replay shows the ball crossing the line before Ayila’s shot, but that’s asking
too much of the officials even though most times, the officiating can be crazy
in women’s football, especially the youth tournaments.
In the end, Nigeria paid the price for every chance they
wasted in the worst way possible, defender Oguchi had looked suspect throughout
the game and finally she got caught in possession in a very dangerous area, the
ball was cut back to Lena Petermann, who scored the goal against France in the
semis to advance Germany into the finals, she finished it calmly, nothing the
Nigerian goalkeeper could do as Germany celebrated in the 1st half of extra
time.
Nigeria had opportunities to get back into the game but you
just have that feeling in football when you know you are going to end up on the
losing side, I was hoping for an equalizer and never gave up on one, but it
didn’t come.
Final whistle: Nigeria
0-1 Germany.
It was heartbreaking really, the Nigerian youth side or ‘Super
Falconets’ rather, were on the verge of creating history, no African team had
won the U20 World Cup at both the men’s and women’s level, it looked like it
really might have happened but it did not.
However there were a few positives, Asisat Oshoala got the
golden ball and golden boot award, she had just finished crying at the other
side of the pitch so she couldn’t really manage a smile with those awards, but
that aside, I’m really excited about the future of the Nigerian women’s senior
team as it looks very bright.
Sure, we are the best African side hands down, having won
our Nation’s Continental Cup a record number of times, that I’ve lost count (exaggerating…I
think 6 times out of 7), but we haven’t really done much on the global stage. I’ve
heard remarks about how we play, I once heard a ‘99er’ talk about how good an
opponent we are and she’s encountered quite a lot of struggle playing against
us (although the USA flogged us in 99…but,) I feel we’ve always had that
talent.
Asisat Oshoala looks like a very creative attacker that
could really be World Class, like majority of the golden ball winners at the
U20 World Cups in time past and I really hope she makes an impression with the
senior team (which she has already) but on the global stage, alongside our
present hit striker, Desire Oparanozie, and advance from Rivers Angels club side in
Nigeria to an European or NWSL team, club career wise, I mean she already has
her own Adidas Advert people! She’s that good! (Watch! link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl6whJtKeBE)
Hopefully we can advance into the knockout stages next year
in Canada, because I have no doubts that we would reach the group stages, the
only thing that could prevent us from doing that is the Nigerian Football
Governing body (which I might have to write about much later,) but for now, we
are solid.
Also what a tournament by France, Claire Lagovez really
captured hearts at the tourney, that goal against Costa Rica might very well be
a FIFA Puskas Winner! Mbock-Bathy is unlike any defender I have ever seen at
the youth level since Kim Kulig of Germany in 2010 and France really have a
bright future, almost everyone was brilliant.
As for Germany, well I can’t even say much, Daebritz, Panfill
and Bremer had a total of 13 goals and 10 assists, outstanding really. It’s just
like English legendary striker, Gary Lineker once said, ‘Football is a simple
game; 22 players chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always
win.’

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comment Here!
Thank You : )